Gmail: Send Mail As
Gmail is already a powerful email service all by itself, but one of the great things it does is allow you to send email from other accounts from your Gmail account. For this reason, you can setup Gmail up to act as your email client for say your ISP’s email and run multiple email accounts from Gmail. I have some instructions below on how to configure Gmail so that it can send email as a different account instead of just your @gmail.com address.
- Login to your Gmail account and go into Settings by click on the cog on the right hand side
- Go into the Accounts and Import section
- In the Send Mail As section, select to Add an email address you own
- Follow the wizard menu that pops up and enter in the email address you want to reply as
- Select Send through Gmail
- Gmail will send a verification email with a link to the email address you listed
- Simply click the click the link to verify the email address
- Once that is done go back into Settings and Accounts and Import
- Under Send Mail As make sure the option to Reply from the same address the message was sent to, is checked
- That should be it, once you have this setup you can then reply from Gmail as another email address
Once you have your secondary email address verified, you now send email from your Gmail account as that account. This is a great trick if you want to be able to manage multiple email addresses and accounts, but from one Gmail account and interface. I know I use this for a lot of my emails, and use my Gmail address as the one interface for them all. So if you find yourself stretched across multiple email accounts and you want to simplify, this will help you do just that.